Thursday, July 27, 2006

Two issues in Selma

I see that the former Selma courthouse will be painted and undergo some minor renovations. The building is rather fugly, not just ugly. Hopefully, this will help. Just a few days ago, I looked at that building and commented on how ugly the building is.

A couple of thoughts. First, it is good to see that money was budgeted ahead of time to spend on the building. I am all for maintaining existing facilities as appropriate. About $5000 is not a huge amount of money to spend. From what I can see by reading the article in today's Selma News, it looks like we are getting a decent amount of necessary work done for the money.

The next thought is that it is good to see that the town's decision takers are going to stick to the budget. I agree that the sides of the building need to be aesthetically improved. However, since the cost would exceed the budget, that has to wait. Good. I would be willing to volunteer to join in with other citizens to work on painting the building, if the town decides to put together a citizen work crew. That is how things got done in the early days, and it is not a bad idea to consider doing that very thing again. We are a small town and can work together for our collective benefit. This may slso be a good service project for the Boy Scouts, 4H, inmates, whatever.

Next issue for commentary: I agree with Police Chief Bowen regarding the driving of vehicles home for detectives. I commented on that earlier, but the entire article was not available online, so I didn't see his commentary until today. I would rather have emergency response staff on call with the tools they need to do the job than collect $600 a year. That is a justifiable expense to me.

No comments: