Sunday, May 28, 2006

An update to the "family secrets" post

I forgot to post the results of the birth certificate request for my father, Robert Pierre LaPlante. I did get a certified abstract of a birth record from the City of Franklin, NH this week. The record did show that my father's birth mother was indeed Beatrice LaCasse, the woman he knew as his mother.

It makes me sad that my father went the majority of his life not knowing for certain that his mother was in deed his birth mother. Now I know that Beatrice's genes have contributed to my family gene pool, not that this was a real important thing to me one way or the other. I was, however, intrigued with the family rumor. I am not one to let a rumor carry on without resolution, especially when it is a relatively easy mystery to solve. Why my father allowed this mystery to go on for years when all he had to do was go to city hall in the same town where we lived for years and look for himself is beyond my comprehension.

I have already drawn a degree of criticism from my mother for even bothering to find out the truth of the matter. Hey, at least I know the answer, which to me was worth the cost of postage plus the $12 fee. Anyone in the family who is reading this and wants a copy of the certificate, just contact me.

No comments: