Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Recovery time

It is hard to believe that it is Tuesday evening already. I spent almost an entire week in Elizabeth City working on a new automation system installation and got back into town yesterday morning about 8 AM. I put in a lot of long hours, spent a lot of money on hotels and meals, and was glad to get home yesterday and drop into bed. I was up for about 24 hours, but only got a 4 hour nap yesterday. I was then up until late last night. All of my days sort of blur together.

On Saturday night, however, my wife was able to drive down to be with me for a night and then spend most of the next day with me. We were able to get away for a day trip to The Outer Banks, see the ocean, the aquarium, and have dinner together. I went back to the cable system I had been working on and continued work that evening, straight through the night.

With all the manual dexterity work I had to do, my carpal tunnel syndrome sure has flared up. I felt it at night at the hotel and was woken up several times in pain. I am really feeling it now, as I did yesterday. My hand is getting numb as I am typing right now. I lost my wrist brace a few weeks ago. It is bizarre how things just disappear. I went to the doctor's office today and bought another one.

I hadn't been able to read the local paper, in which my weekly column appears, until I got home yesterday. I decided upon reading the opinion column to change my column for this week. I had started writing on a topic but put it on hold. One local shop owner wrote a letter to the editor of the newspaper taking exception to my column. I can only suspect that she is the same person who left the voicemail in the previous post on this blog. What amazes me is that the lady obviously did not read for comprehension or context. I was called ignorant and someone who only talks and does not "do". Her comments refer to things that I never wrote about and in some places distort what I wrote. Oh well. At least someone is reading. I appreciate the feedback, either way. My response will be in Thursday's paper and online on my LaPlante's Rants blog.

I saw that there has been a lot of crime in Selma lately. WMPM has reported today that a woman pulled up to an automatic teller machine in Selma Tuesday morning and was shot three times. The victim was obviously a nice Irish girl with a name like Dashantia Tanika Atkinson. Also a man was found Severely injured and unconscious in Selma home. One other story was that patrols have been beefed up at a local car dealership after thieves targeted the business three nights in a row. Someone broke into a customer’s car parked at Fairway Auto on US301 in Selma on Sunday. These things make Selma "Not a Charming Place to Be". The world will be the world, and is a wicked thing.

A hurricane is coming. I wonder how many people will fail to take warnings seriously, abrogate their personal responsibility for their own safety and material well being, and rely on the government nipple for support.

There is not much else to write about. I have seen some topics that may be worth commenting on, but I just don't feel like it so much.

No comments: