Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The right thing to do

I haven't been able to sit and write much the past few days. I have been heap big busy (hey, I have used that expression since before I ever heard of Rush Limbaugh). I did manage to make it to the town council meeting last night.

I offer you my thanks, Mayor Hester, Coucilman Jeff Weaver, and Councilman Gary Jackson for doing the right thing and putting this issue of a railroad quiet zone in Selma to rest for a while, at least. For Debbie Johnson and Jackie Lacy I can only offer bewilderment. Men tend to be more analytical, logical, and deliberate in their thought process. Women often are more emotion oriented. This should have been a unanimous vote, since it is pretty much a no-brainer.

The council should not consider prolonging this issue nor should they hear the case of someone who lives and operates a business outside the town's corporate limits and jurisdiction. It is also a common sense issue in that we should not consider closing streets to accommodate train horn noise, nor spending town money for such an issue during a time of financial hardship for the town.

The council's time has been wasted on several occasions. The argument from the dissenting voting women was that it does not cost anything to hear about the issue and everyone who has an opinion should be heard on the matter. The man who pushed the issue (and the ONLY one I have heard of who to wom this is an issue) did not even show up for his own public hearing. It does cost the town on several fronts. First is the time of the council, the Town Clerk, Town Attorney, the concerned citizens who actually took the time to go to a town meeting, as well as the resources for the extra paper and electricity to record this issue's proponents. Ending the issue last night was only fair and proper business. Common sense prevailed by a 3 to 2 margin.

Here is a blurb from "The Selma News":




Council rejects train quiet zones

Proponent of zones absent from town's public hearing

Selma Town Council, in a 3-2 split vote, decided not to pursue creating “quiet zones” for trains in town even though the person pushing for creation of those zones was not present for the public hearing.

Several months ago Tony Tetterton, owner of RV campground outside of Selma, asked Council to look into creating zones where trains would not sound their horns or whistles during certain times of the night. Some of his campers had complained about the noise at night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I agree with you on the train post, I must take issue with you on something your wrote about men and women.

You wrote, "Men tend to be more analytical, logical, and deliberate in their thought process. Women often are more emotion oriented."

I am not sure you really meant to say that, as it is NOT the case. I have worked in broadcast journalism and later as a political aide in the Wisconsin Legislature, and in both jobs came in contact with many people who held power and required logic to make any final decision. NEVER have I found a person's sex to be the determining factor to a final decision being good or bad. How you came to such a point of view is amazing, and maybe more a product of the south being a bit more sexist, or some other such factor. In any case, I just thought I might mention it to you.

BTW, as a train buff I love the whistle.

Troy LaPlante said...

Well, Deke, for starters, I am NOT a product of The South. I was not raised here, I was raised in New England. I moved here in 1988. There goes that claim of "sexism".

The fact is that what I wrote about men and women is not only true, it is Biblically accurate, as well. Perhaps you find your empirical "data" to the contrary. However, I assure that this is the exception, not the rule.

Just ask any married man and you will get a similar perspective. God created men and women differently. He did this for a reason. Women possess the attributes that men often lack and vice versa.

If you are comparing your experiences with women in a legislative role, you are obviously around the exception, not the norm. Ergo, your observations will be skewed from reality.

Dude, I don't just make this stuff up. Just watch Dr. Phil, listen to Dr. Laura, or even Oprah and you will get a similar secular perspective.

Yes, a person's sex is a huge determining factor in their emotional, rational, and personality make up. That is just plain the order of creation and of reality. Maybe not on your planet, but it is on everyone else's.