Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Getting ripped off

I decided to make this part a separate post, since the last one got long and was about the trip this weekend.

Last night, I took Teresa out to dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings. I love that place. Afterwards, we went over to Best Buy, which is in the same shopping center. After eating wings, we often stop by Best Buy to see what deals we may find, look at televisions, software, computers, etc. Occasionally I find some CDs at a good price. This time, we found a 3 CD collection of 80's pop music.

I grew up in the 80's. I worked at an Adult Contemporary radio station while in high school and college. We played most of the same music that were in the collection. I saw the videos on MTV back when MTV actually played music and was cool. Once in a while, I like pulling out some old pop music from that time period. That era had a more fun attitude than the dreary 70's and the rebellious, grungy 90's.

I sure felt ripped off, though, when we put one of the CDs in the car CD player on the way home. It turned out that all the songs were performed by a studio band, performing the hits of the 80's. It is just not the same listening to INXS, Phil Collins, The Police, or REM being performed by some studio band that nobody ever heard of. Don't get me wrong, the band was not bad. They would be great at weddings and dance parties. The do a decent cover of these songs. HOWEVER, it is deceitful.

The packaging has in tiny little print "as performed by..." This is the second time I got burned by the recording industry in this manner. Months ago, I bought a Journey CD at Wal-Mart. It turned out to be the same deal. Rather than a best of compilation, it was the best songs of Journey as performed by whatever studio band. Twice burned.

The record industry should not wonder why people get pissed off at them and download songs and file share illegally. Stuff like this is why. The recording industry has not advanced with the times and technology. They overcharge for CDs. Then they deceitfully sell fake recordings that make people feel ripped off. When I fork out money for music that I have known most of my life, I want the original stuff, not a cheap substitute.

Granted, the cost of the CDs was less than half of what I spent on dinner. However, I don't feel ripped off about food that will be passed through the digestive system by tomorrow. I was not deceived in what I bought for a meal. I knew what I was paying for and got exactly what I ordered.

When people download music illegally, at least they get the original music. Those people like myself who pay for music get crap like this. No wonder the recording industry is despised by consumers.

No comments: