Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A post I made one year ago about MLK Day

Once again, we will "celebrate" Martin Luther King Day next week. I am reposting something I wrote last year at this time. Just last night, I heard one racist Black woman whining about "the years of oppression of her people" and how excited she is about the upcoming MLK Day celebration. There is going to be an MLK celebration on Monday at the Harrison Alumni Association building here in Selma.

I am so tired of the absolute worship of this man. He was a man. He was not perfect, just as with any other who walks the face of the earth. He preached a social gospel, but not the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He was a "reverend" but did not make speeches proclaiming the religion to which he was ordained. I have actually read some of his speeches, including the famous "I have a dream" speech. Though I agree with racial equality, I do not agree with equality of culture or behavior. All social perspectives are not equally valid. King's speeches are full of contradictions. Read them for yourself.

Anyway, here is a reprint of last year's post.

--------------------

My employer and many governmental agencies will celebrate "Martin Luther King Jr. Day" on Monday. Personally, I do believe that this is an "appeasement" holiday and should not be celebrated on my tax dollars.

This holiday is akin to Kwanzaa to me. It is a fabricated day or celebration forced upon the majority by a minority. If the majority were to use common sense to oppose the "holiday", then they are labeled with the tag of "racist".

I don't personally believe that King was worthy of a holiday. He has been almost deified by the Black race in America. I have sat in church and literally heard a Sunday School teacher in a Black church proclaim King to have been the most balanced and spiritual man in history. Statues have been erected and streets have been renamed in his honor. Doctor King proclaimed that he wanted to see all men judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin. Unfortunately, many have departed from that battle cry. Oddly enough, those who vehemently fight to lift King as a shining example of Black America support affirmative action, segregated groups, their own "cultural centers", repairation payments for slavery, and other special considerations. That is entirely contrary to King's message of being judged by character rather than skin color.

G.Gordon Liddy claims that he has personal knowledge of FBI files of MLK that say he was an adulterer and had shady dealings. He said that J. Edgar Hoover's staff has numerous recordings of King in hotels with strange women. Many saw King as a troublemaker. Some even go so far as to call Martin Luther King Day by a different name; James Earl Ray Day.

Part of what bothers me about the recognition of MLK Day is that Veterans' Day has all but disappeared so that MLK Day could be a holiday instead. We no longer honor our vets as we used to. Furthermore, we do not declare a holiday for other great men in our history. We have not declared a Thomas Paine Day, a Samuel Adams Day, or even a Benjamin Franklin Day. We have had many great men who have preceeded King and all of us. The honest truth is that none of them were a prominent minority who was murdered. King fit the bill for a hero and a banner under which to march.

Those who were civil rights leaders in the 60's, but more so today, the leaders tended to have the title "Reverend", yet I have never heard any of the "reverends" preach Jesus. Usually, it is a politically charged, perverted monologue of liberalism. People like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are far from the roots of Martin Luther King, Jr.

I remember having a King disciple (also carrying the title "reverend")yell at me for two solid days, telling me (and a whole group of others) how horrible I am for being Caucasian. By nature of the fact that I am "white", I must be racist. Yup, that is judging someone by character rather than the color of skin. I am the type who would probably have been very active in the civil rights movement in the 60's, had I been alive then. I was born in 1968, so it was sort of hard to be part of that. The civil rights movement was right in their goals. I do believe that they have been successful in their actions, and this nation is a whole lot better in this decade than forty years prior.

MLK did a lot of good, from what I can tell from reading. He brought attention to a legitimate problem of inequality in this nation. Unfortunately, he has attained martyr status and has been nearly given godhood status and his message has been hijacked and perverted. Many churches and minorities have added the worship of King to the worship of Christ.

No comments: