Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Welcome aboard

I do not personally know Selma's newly announced fire chief. I hope he will do well. Of the four finalists, I only knew one of them. The one that I do know I had full confidence in, as did many other emergency management and municipal leaders in the area. I am still not keen on the method of selection or the use of a contract consultant to help select a fire chief. Personally I prefer the idea of using people you know, trust, and will be having interaction with on a local basis. Men who do the job already and have the qualifications necessary to take the decision are better suited, in my opinion, to do the job. This does not even take into account that a consultant that you pay will be more easily manipulated towards your desired result than others who already know the town, the department, the needs, and the interaction necessary.

None the less, the new fire chief has my full support and I hope that things will progress to the level necessary here in Selma. I look forward to meeting Chief McDaniel and working with him.

Here is the article from The Selma News online.
The town of Selma has a new fire chief. Phillip McDaniel of Selma, fire chief of Pine Level Volunteer Fire Department, was hired as Selma’s full-time fire chief Tuesday morning. He will officially start his new post on Oct. 22, according to Town Manager Stan Farmer.

No comments: