Friday, December 21, 2007

I know it has been a while since I did topics of politics and the like

Quite honestly, I have been preoccupied with other things in life the past few months. I know that sounds lame, maybe even trite, but it is true none the less. I have been spending more time upon relationships and people than I have upon writing. Even my columns in the newspaper have been a bit more removed from my regular topics concerning local happenings, but I have an idea that this is going to change with my next column. I have also not been doing so much of my internet talk show lately because I have dedicated my time to other things and people recently. I recently blogged about one reason why.

Last night I went with a close friend to see The Trans-Siberian Orchestra in concert in Raleigh at The RBC Center. The show was great. The light show and effects alone were worth the price of admission. I am not a huge fan of much of their original music, since they often are concept albums and "rock opera" like. I do, however, thoroughly enjoy their Christmas songs, modern interpretations of classical music, and the like. I really enjoy Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Bach arrangements done with electric guitars and modern drums. I always have.

One development is the anticipated release of their latest CD project, Night Castle. I was doing research online and found that they have been promoting this CD project for a while, but it is way behind schedule because of the group's perfectionism. Follow that link for more. I am looking forward to that CD. Just today, I ordered the CDs I do not have in my collection that they do already have out.

The Christmas story that they narrate is a bit lame in the show and on their CD. Also, as long as you do not get your theology from a concert or a CD, it is tolerable, sort of like the "Left Behind" series or anything from Frank Peretti.

Anyway, I loved the performance. Great music, great pyrotechnics, great laser and light show. The group did preview one song from their upcoming "Night Castle" project. They featured the band's rendition of "O Fortuna" from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. They had an awesome version of the song. I loved it. I have heard an "O Fortuna" snippet in Sean Hannity's opening theme music on his talk show for years, but TSO's version was great. I downloaded a copy of the song and have been playing it over and over again all day, but obviously not the TSO version, to which I look forward with eager anticipation.

No comments: