Sunday, October 02, 2005

Railroad Days

We were at Railroad Days yesterday...about all day. We got there real early within the set up period. I learned a few things about setting up. First, for our simplicity of a booth, we don't need to get there that early. Second, regardless of how things were done in the past, the organizers of the event don't like the idea of an eight foot tent going in a seven foot space. Fortunately, the info booth next to ours was moved to get them an electrical feed and the vendor next to us had plenty of extra space for us to put our tent on their side of the line. So we were able to allow the seven feet of space for another information vendor next to us, either way.

I am "lobsterfied". It looked like rain early on, but the sun came out and I am sunburned all over my face, neck, and arms. Even though I got a ball cap later on, I still got burned pretty thoroughly.

We met all types yesterday. Town officials, town employees, voters, and a lot of people from out of town. I had some good conversations, some odd comments, and some fun along the way. My observations that people are extrememly diverse in their personalities were furthered yesterday. As we handed out hundreds of campaign flyers, some were gracious and took the flyers. Some were indignant, some were callous, some were friendly. I had one individual (for some strange reason) give me a mean "Don't even...!!!", to which I asked "Don't even what?" She was angry with me for some unknown reason. I have no idea who she is, and she obviously does not know me.

My wife had one person ask her if I supported the war in Iraq as a requisite as to whether they would take a campaign flyer or consider voting for me. I am amused at that, since the Selma Town Council does not fund nor authorize troops to go to Iraq. Nothing like sleeping through civics classes in school.

I also got some feedback from some of you who have visited this web site. Thank you for your kind words. I welcome your feedback. You will find an email link under my profile section of the blog, and you are welcome to use it. My email is troy@vote4troy.com.

No comments: