Sunday, October 02, 2005

Some local ordinances and the municipal code

For those of you who are not aware, Selma does publish its town ordinances online for your reading pleasure. I have spent hours reading up on the town's ordinances on the web site.

I have found some ordinances that I am curious about or would like to see changed. I have decided to discuss a few of them.

Here is one that I had no idea about at first:
Sec. 2-1. Salaries of certain officers.
The mayor, councilmen, city manager and city attorney shall receive an annual salary as set by ordinance.

I didn't know what compensation was for town council or mayor. To be honest, I could not have cared less if there even was compensation. I didn't see anywhere what the "salary as set by ordinance was" on the web site. I did, however, see the list of town salaries as published in "The Selma News". Now I know that the councilmembers get paid $1800 per year and the mayor is paid $2400 per year. I also know the salary of the town manager and town clerk, as well as other positions. I am glad that "The Selma News" has been publishing public servant salaries, since we are the ones who are paying them. I now have a better idea of how our police department, public utilities employees, and others are paid.

I don't have a problem with compensating the town's elected officials, since they do put in time, effort, and carry responsibility. I do believe in the principle of 1Timothy 5:18 "For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

For certain, nobody will run for town council or mayor to get wealthy, and that is appropriate. It is not a full time job and the $150 per month is token.

I have other sections of code to discuss, but I think I will make them separate posts to break up the boredom for you.

No comments: