Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Warrantless search or not?

I was just listening to Johnston County Sheriff Steve Bizzel on WMPM radio a few minutes ago. Overall, I like Steve and the job that he has done here in the county. However, one thing I just heard him discuss that REALY bothers me is that he is chairing a committee along with a judge in Fayetteville to automate the process of warrrants.

Computer automation for report writing, field information, and criminal histories/databases is great. However, for serving a warrant, I have a serious problem with the concept. A deputy had better have something more than a laptop screen showing an electronic form of a warrant. I had better be served with a formal piece of paper showing all the information and a signature from a court official.

There is a reason that there is a requirement of a warrant for arrests, searches, and seizures. It helps to eliminate fraud and shows proof of the action. An electronic version does me no good as a citizen. The warrant is a protection of the citizen from abuse of government, not to protect law enforcement from the public.

I work in an electronic medium for a living, so I understand the benefit of the electronic process to organization and communication. However, there are certain instances in which "old fashioned paper" should never be replaced.

Anything electronic can be altered. Without paperwork in my hand for a situation requiring a warrant, my rights are not protected. This just opens the door for abuse and is something that we should not stand for.

I will be sharing this in the form of letters to the editor and message boards.

No comments: