Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mansell campaign not doing to hot today

Below is a story that was carried on WPTF news. They did not release the name of the candidate, but I pretty much knew who it was. I decided to look it up online and there was the story.

I am a Mansell supporter. We see quite a few things alike. I had the opportunity to interview him a while back and posted the interview online. Unfortunately, I have known for quite some time that Mansell was going to be defeated pretty badly by Etheridge. It is an unfortunate future event. Now it seems more inevitable. Just three weeks before the election, the Associated Press released the news that Mansell owes a lot of money in back taxes.

My views of the tax system, its unethical application, and my disdain for big government aside, I find it amazing that someone would even consider running for Congress knowing that you own a few hudred thousand dollars in income taxes. Sorry, but this is just plain stupid and gives ammunition to your opponent. When you are a strong conservative, you will have opponents that are more than just the other candidate. You also battle the liberal media.

I find it of little coincidence that the story comes out just three weeks before the election. News like this will help ensure an Etheridge victory. I have my suspicions about the timing of the lien, or at least the news thereof.

Mansell says that the tax lien is a "non issue". To voters it is, Dan. I like you, and I feel it is an issue.

Below is the story from the WPTF web site.

GOP Congressional Candidate Owes More Than $220K In Unpaid Taxes


SMITHFIELD, N.C. (AP) - Liens filed in Johnston County show a
Republican congressional candidate who wanst the federal income tax
eliminated owes more than 220-thousand dollars in unpaid taxes.

Danny Mansell is trying to unseat Representative Bob Etheridge,
and he blames the years-old tax problems on a time when he
neglected to manage his business while his mother was dying and his
wife battled cancer.

Mansell says the tax liens are a "non-issue."

Department of Revenue records show Mansell's business has also
owed the state nearly 50-thousand dollars in taxes since 1999. But
Mansell says that lien record was already paid in full.

While he has pushed to replace the federal income tax with a
nationwide sales tax, Mansell said his liens are not connected with
his policy proposals.

Etheridge's campaign had no comment on Mansell's tax history.

No comments: