Friday, October 20, 2006

One crazy cat and a bunch of psycho but slow squirrels

On our property, we have a lot of squirrels running around. I routinely hear them scurrying across my roof. They are in my trees a lot, raid my bird feeder, and eat the pecans that grow in the tree in my back yard. They love to hop on our swing in the back yard to eat their nuts, leaving shell fragments all over the seat. They have destroyed several plastic bird feeders to get the seed out of them. My latest feeder is an open gazebo looking thing that allows them to sit in the feeder, but at least they don't destroy it.

I also have a cat that lives outdoors. She was an abandoned kitty in the neighborhood. Since she was a youngster, she has come by here and adopted us. We took her in, fed her, loved on her, got her spayed after she had a kitten (that died within 48 hours), sprung her from cat jail after getting trapped by animal control, got her shots, and flea treatments. I guess we could consider her our cat, since she spends most of her time here. She goes across the street and loves our neighbors, too.

Since at first, we didn't know what to call her, as we thought that she may belong to someone in the neighborhood, we called her a generic name like "Fluffy", even though she isn't really fluffy. She is a short hair mixed breed. She is gray with a white saddle and is rather amorous.

Fluffy loves to hunt. Over the past couple of years, she has come home with dead birds and squirrels. She loves to eat squirrel. We give her fresh food and water, but her carnivore predator instincts are strong and active.

This morning, I opened the door and found her laying under the car with another dead squirrel. This is her third or so within the past several months. She found the stupid or slow ones. Natural selection at work.

I can't imagine that raw squirrel tastes very good, but to Fluff (Fluffernutter, officially), it must be a delicasy. She always starts eating at the head and usually has it down to the waist by the time we see the prey. Only once I can remember that she had it down to just the shoulders by the time we saw her latest kill. Nutty cat.

No comments: