Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hester Tower has finally come down

I came home at dusk this evening. As I turned the corner near Selma Cotton Mill, I noticed a piece of heavy equipment sitting at the corner. I did a head check and didn't see the tower. I pulled into the Cotton Mill parking lot to stop and look. No tower. It must have come down today. I didn't recall noticing its absence today.

Thanks for wasting our money, guys. YES, wasting, which is stealing. If there was extra money in some budget to cover the cost of demolition and removal, that just tells me that we are overcharging utility customers by nearly $6000. It also tells me that our town employees got screwed out of $6000 worth of their compensation plans.

I understand the liability issue, however that was a "straw man" argument. If the town has not mitigated the risk for all of these years, then one more year's wait (actually more like seven months) until the budget accounted for the cost is not unreasonable assumption of risk. If anything, the risk was increased by drawing attention to the structure.

Either way, it is obvious that it was an individual's pet project and was "ramrodded" through. In the end, we as citizens paid the price. We always do. Never forget that.

No comments: