Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I don't know if ALL positions are needed, but I would like to know more

I was reading an article about the special town council meeting last week in which the town of Selma is looking to add back some of the positions it cut under the budget crunch two years ago. I can understand that when things are better financially, we can then contemplate hiring back staff. I have no problem with that concept. I do not have sufficient information to complete my opinion, however. I am not convinced yet that we would need to hire a complete planning department for a town of only 3.5 square miles. I am also not convinced that we need three part time positions in the fire department, either. I would have to get more information and justification from the chief before taking a decision as to my opinion on the matter. There was a huge opposition to hiring a full time chief, but I was in support of the idea and think that the department and the town are better off as a result. I do not know, however, if we need the part time slots or not. I look forward to reading more on the subject.

No comments: