Saturday, November 05, 2005

Another lost day and some hope

I may have been on vacation for the last week plus, but I was working today. I had intended for today to be a day to get out and meet people, pass out flyers, and let people get to know about me. Unfortunately, I was "on call" for work and ended up working a 14.5 hour day. From the time I woke up until late tonight, I have been working to troubleshoot problems on the job.

It seems that if anything could go wrong in this campaign season, it has. I have put up with problems with advertising, flyer copying, data gathering, lack of help from the local GOP, lack of desire to help from the NRA, funding shortages when needed for campaign supplies when it would be beneficial and then an abundance when it was too late to purchase those things, friends/family sick and in the hospital, others in need, one complaining business owner who just lost thousands of dollars in business from me and others, sign printing problems, audio blogging unavailability when I wanted to do so, weeks of very long work hours, a lack of vehicles for use as family is borrowing them, and the list goes on. I know that this sounds like a lot, and perhaps borderline complaining. Nah, just stream of consciousness and venting a bit. I am a little frustrated, but I am hoping that I have gotten enough exposure with enough potential voters to have made a difference.

None the less, I will continue to do what I can between now and election day. I will be out tomorrow and tomorrow night. Hopefully, Monday will be clear, as well. Tuesday, I plan on being at one polling place and my wife at the other. From all reports, it looks like it will be a light voting turn out. There are about 2400 registered voters in Selma. That is only about 36% of the population in this town. Of that 2400, it is expected that only about 10% may turn out to vote. That means that only a few hundred votes could decide the election. Hopefully, the poll results on this web site will be at least partly accurate and I will be chosen by those few hundred people. If you will be one of those few hundred people, then I thank you in advance.

Here is a trick I have learned about nonpartisan voting when there are multiple candidates for multiple positions. If you wish to help make sure that I am elected, then I have this tip. You are allowed to vote for two candidates for town council. Vote for ONLY me and no second choice. That will be the equivalent of giving me two votes while only casting one. It means that another candidate will not be getting a vote to count against me. It is working the system within its design.

I have gotten a lot of positive feedback from the public and from people who have been reading my web site. Thanks to each of you for your kind words, expressions of concerns about our town, suggestions, and most importantly, for your vote. I look forward to serving you. You all have an open door to contact me via email, telephone, or in person.

No comments: