Monday, November 07, 2005

I feel compelled to write more

I was out late putting out campaign flyers last night and then working on some web design until the wee hours of the morning. I am supposed to be on vacation but have already had four phone calls from work asking me questions. I already answered some of those questions via email, but some people don't check email prior to opening up their mouths and bothering the man on vacation. I am dedicated, I guess, so I answer questions and take phone calls anyway. Funny how that works. Oh, well. Now to the subject that is burning inside of me.

I feel compelled to write about what I see written in the N&O voters guide. I just wrote about how I am the only Republican running for office, and there are some things I do want to comment on. I have REALLY tried to be good about these things, but I have things that just burn within. That is why I am running for office.

Here are some issues that we will be facing in the near future before the Selma Town Council. Because these are issues that are favored by some of the candidates, they are relevant to this election. I am only going to mention the things that I see publicly written in the "News and Observer" and leave thoughts on other subjects out. Here we go.

Harry Blackley


POLITICAL HERO: John F. Kennedy

My comment: OK, I can understand that. JFK was for tax cuts, a tighter government, and had the guts to stand against impinging Communism. I contrast that to his brother Edward...(shudder). JFK was where the Republican Party is now that they have moved to the left over the years.

What are the most pressing issues facing Selma?
Blackley: Ensuring the safety of Selma citizens. Bringing good paying jobs to Selma. Keeping power, water and sewer capacity ahead of the town’s needs. And bringing more single-family homes to town.

My comment: I am in full agreement with Mr. Blackley.

How should Selma continue to develop economically?

Blackley: We just brought Sysco to Selma with about 450 jobs at an average of $45,000 a year plus benefits. And we just got ThyssenKrupp Precision Forge to expand. We’ll continue to recruit industry and business; make sure our water, sewer and power capacity are beyond our needs; and work with developers to bring more single-family homes.

My comments: I don't think that all 450 jobs for Sysco will be filled by either present of future Selma residents. I have no problem with recruiting future industry and business. I do have a problem with it if we are going to throw a lot of tax payer funded incentives. I agree with keeping the water, sewer, and power capacity ahead of development. I also agree that we should make it easier for development of single family homes...not rental units, but home ownership is the key there.

Charles Hester

TOP PRIORITY IF ELECTED: “Reduce spending, eliminate waste, form historic districts, beautify town, health care for all citizens.”

My comments: The issues listed here are in direct conflict. We can not reduce spending but spend taxpayer money to fund private "beautification" of the town. Yes, we can do our part with the town property, sidewalks, and streets. I can see that and can agree with that. However, I do NOT SUPPORT WHATSOEVER spending tax money so that private developers and businesses can beautify, renovate, or improve their properties. Next is the "health care for all citizens". Just HOW do you intend to do so? How can we reduce spending and then provide health care for all citizens? Why is it my responsibility to provide health care for those who have failed to do so themselves? Why should the town spend money on health care for anyone other than those in its employ as a necessary benefit? Doing so would only encourage freeloaders to move to Selma at public expense. Considering that renters outnumber property owners in this town, it is unethical to place such a disproportionate burden on tax payers in this town.

How should Selma continue to develop economically?

Hester: The town needs to maintain a no-growth posture for at least a year and let our spending “catch up” with our income. Then, the town can look to bringing more housing (affordable) and other small industries. We need to concentrate on taking care of what we have.

My comments: If by "no growth" you mean town budget and spending growth, I can understand that. However, we do need to spend money in areas of necessity such as infrastructure repair and replacement. That is indeed what was said in "concentrate on taking care of what we have". I have no issue with holding the line on spending and town expenditure growth for a year. Limiting growth in the private sector is another issue entirely and it is not clear in the publication as the the intention.

What are the most pressing issues facing Selma?

Hester: Reduce spending, and therefore reduce the amount of utility charges to our citizens.

My comments: Reducing spending in the overall town budget will not necessarily reduce utility bills. We purchase electricity at a $x and retail it at $y. If the electrical, water, and sewer revenues are not used to re-invest into our infrastructure, we are not handling those funds wisely. If the town budget is supplied with money in large part from the proceeds of the utility sales to citizens, then yes, perhaps cutting spending will reduce the utility costs. We do have a high utility cost to consumers in this town, in my opinion. If we can indeed reduce the utility charges, I am all for it.

Debbie Johnson

AGE: Not given.

My comment: Why not? It is a fair question to ask of someone running for office.

Other comments: It is hard to tell with Debbie just where she stands on issues. She is fairly vague other than to say that we need to keep doing what we are doing to encourage businesses to come to Selma. Other than that, I don't see any real commitments on issues.

Tommy Holmes

My comments: Tommy seems to be a single issue candidate. Keeping tax and utility bills low is his answer to every question or issue. Fundamentally, I am in agreement with this. There are other issues that the town and council members face, however.

Jackie Lacy

POLITICAL HERO: Bill Clinton
FAVORITE MOVIE: “The Passion of the Christ”

My comments:
This raises "red flags" to me anytime anyone claims a great love of spirituality and supports Bill Clinton. Clinton was a shame to this nation. His politics and behavior were antithetical to Christendom. Don't get me wrong. I have many issues with the Republican Party, as well. However, I do take issue with any claim that Bill Clinton is any real sort of "hero" except to the reprobate. I enjoyed Mel Gibson's "The Passion" and own my own copy. I paid to see it in the theater twice. It is overall a great movie. When I see Bill Clinton, I see no resemblance to Christ. When I see Christ, however, I do see Bill Clinton. Jesus became sin for us, and died for Bill Clinton, too.

What are the most pressing issues facing Selma?

Lacy: Economic development and availability of low-rent housing for low-income families. Recreational facilities for youth and seniors. Collaboration between the town and the Hispanic population.

My comments: The concepts of economic development and low rent housing are opposed to one another. We already have too high of a percentage (majority) of the citizens of Selma who are renters. We need to rather encourage home ownership. Recreation facilities are fine and I support their existence. However, they do not keep the electricity running, the water and sewers flowing, streets repaired, fires extinguished, or criminals in jail. Collaboration with the Hispanic population? Here is my proposal for starters. If you do not have legitimate documentation that you are here in this country legally, you do not get to have city services such as water, sewer, trash pick up, and electricity. PERIOD.

Those are the major things that I have seen, believe in, and support. I am not trying to be just critical, but these things burn within me. These issues show the difference between the candidates, offer choice, and let you know where I stand. If this appeals to you, then vote for me tomorrow on election day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog I hope we can work to build a better health care system. Health insurance is a major aspect to many.

Troy LaPlante said...

Perhaps so, but health insurance is not the responsibility of the government. It is a personal responsibility. Should it be a thing obtained through one's employer as a benefit of employment is something for the employee and employer to decide, but certainly not that of government.