Friday, November 11, 2005

Why do people fall for things like this? Check out their web site.

Some time ago, I wrote to a man who runs christianexodus.org. Their master plan in that organization is to move a bunch of Christians there, take over the state, and secede from the union (a second for SC). Then, take over other states one by one. About a month ago, I emailed the director with a few simple comments:

I was surfing through the CE site and your blog. We are very much on the same page politically and in our views on our government. We do differ on the premise behind the existence of CE, however. There are other groups doing the same thing in New Hampshire but for Libertarian causes. Zion, Illinois was founded for much the same ideal. My big question is simply, "Why not allow your light to shine where you are and be the salt of the earth there, rather than moving the salt to South Carolina?" The concept of secession will never work. We are promised that things will get worse, not better in the scriptures. Instead of gathering the saints together in one place for habitation and control, I would think that a concentrated effort in shining the light of the Spirit and converting those around you (wherever you may be) would be more the aim of the Gospel...It seems counter to the idea of "go into all the world". When the early Church stayed in Jerusalem rather than going, as was ordered, the received a good dose of persecution to make them go.

---------------------------------

Almost a month later (this morning), I got this reply:

Dear Troy,
I appreciate your honest inquiry, but I think your premise is flawed. Going to South Carolina IS going into the "world." SC is part of the world, is it not? Furthermore, your premise assumes that God does not call anyone to go to South Carolina. You assume that since you're called to your current location, others must also be called to their current locations. Your vantage point can be argued to be clearly in opposition to the Great Commission by promoting "staying put" rather than "going into the world." I believe your position is not in opposition to the Great Commission, nor is mine. Your commission might be to serve where you're currently located. The commission of others might be to move to serve somewhere else. It is arrogant to determine what another believer's commission should be. Is Peter faulted because he didn't do as many church plants or travel as much as Paul? Is Paul faulted because he didn't stay put and be "salt and light" in Ephesus or Corinth or Rome?

Lastly, ask yourself the question: have American Christians been salt and light in America? I say no. I think they've lost their saltiness, and Scripture reminds us that tasteless salt cannot become salty again. Our strategy at Christian Exodus will enable a portion of America to be salt and light for the world. And from this Christian base of operations, evangelists can be trained, financed and launched. Of course, you're free to disagree with me. :-)

I don't have time for lengthy discourse, but I do try to respond to honest inquirers like yourself at least one.

OK, I gotta run.

God bless you,
Cory

--
Cory R. Burnell, MBA
President
ChristianExodus.org
Phn: 877-727-3578
Fax: 815-572-8086

---------------------------------

My reply was the following:

Thank you for your email, Cory. I did not expect a reply, so it was nice of you to do so. I, too, do not plan on a lengthy discourse. I did, however, find a few things amusing about your reply. You made a big assumption that I actually made assumptions. I got a chuckle out of that. Next, you also assumed that I am even remotely attempting to determine what another believer's commission should be. The next chuckle was at you calling yourself and your associates saltless then proceed to tell me how CE is going to be salt and light. Are you excluding yourself from the statement "have American Christians been salt and light in America?" Personally, I have known many who have epitomized that very thing. I know many who have not exemplified that.

As to Peter's vs. Paul's ministry, do not mistake the work of an apostle and that commission for the work or relocation to South Carolina for something that sounds like a good idea. To many, moving to Waco, Texas seemed like a good idea, too. Paul went to a region, evangelized, converted the heathen, and started the new believers on their paths of following Christ. He didn't go to Corinth, invite all of the church at Jerusalem or other areas to come to settle with him, try to take over the province, and maybe secede.

Yes, SC is part of the world. No, my premise in no way assumes that God doesn't call anyone to SC (why he would is beyond my comprehension, being from NC. SC one of the states that NC can make fun of. Just a little humor. ;^)

I do wish you success in the spread of the gospel in SC.

Troy

No comments: