Thursday, January 19, 2006

New eyeglasses


I finally got a new pair of glasses today. I had an exam about a week ago and paid for the glasses up front. Today, I got to pick them up and wear them all day. It sure is different wearing a different type of frame. The picture in my profile has me with an old pair of glasses (two frames ago, at least). The last frame that I got, three years ago, was too small and left dents in my temples as well as blue-green tarnish lines on my head. The lenses were getting very scratched.

The new lenses are not much different from the old in terms of prescription. I needed new glasses because the old ones were getting too scratched for my liking and I hated the tight frame. The will be fine for back up, though, since my prescription has not changed much in the last three years.

Like last time, I got Transitions lenses or a reasonable facsimile. Also, I sprung for the Crizal treatment and polycarbonate thin lens. Even after the insurance payment, the bill was about $240. It was worth it to me. The titanium frames are a lot lighter on my face and actually fit properly.

For years, I could not afford to go back to Transitions, which I missed having. I also could not afford new frames each time, so I used the same frames several times each for new lenses. I remember when plastic lenses were not good at the Transitions thing, so if I wanted them, I needed to get glass lenses, which were heavy. Eventually, the normal plastic lenses also were very heavy on my face. Then, I went to a smaller frame (my last pair) and splurged for the Zeiss anti-reflective coating and Transitions. I wanted them again this time. I also went back to a rimless frame, which I haven't had in a while.

I dumped my last eye doctor. He conned me into getting contacts one year, and I regret spending all of that money on them. They worked great when they would stay in place, but that would just not happen with my astigmatism. Usually, the world was blurry because the lenses rotated. That was my third dive into contact lenses. What a waste. Teresa does well with contacts, but not me. Our doctor was also rather abrasive. We both agreed that we did not enjoy going to him at all and wanted a change.

It will still take a little time to get used to these new frames, but at least I have scratch free lenses (at least for now) and my head is not being pinched all day. Hopefully, the dents in the side of my head will go away soon. A dent in my scalp went away fairly soon after minor oil gland cyst surgery a few years ago.

No comments: