Tuesday, February 21, 2006

This is what I meant in my last post

This is the sort of thing that I said in my earlier post today. Though I don't have any problem with the idea of giving consideration as to what positions you "whack" from the town payroll, I also believe that if you are on the town council, you should have already given due consideration to the topic. The concept of layoffs has already been discussed at previous meetings. To come to a meeting unprepared for handling the town business is a bit baffling to me. Why be on the council in the first place if you are not willing to get down to business? Excercise courage to do what needs to be done, if that is the route the town is heading. If you don't have the courage, step down and let someone who does take your place.

If we need to do more with less, we can. How do I know? Almost every job I have ever had has been that way. I don't like the idea of disrupting someone's livelihood any more than the next person. However, we are talking about the public trust. It sucks, but something has to be done. I am not privy to all the details, but I hope that the right course of action is being pursued.

From "The Selma News" web site today:

Town employee layoffs imminent in Selma
By Kelly Lake, News Editor 21.FEB.06

Heads are on the chopping block in Selma. At a special meeting at noon today, the council stopped short of eliminating the town planner position, currently held by Dave Roesler.

After much discussion, council decided to review a list a town employees, their duties, and their salaries before making cuts on Friday during a special meeting set for 4 p.m. in the Selma District Courtroom.

While Councilmen Gary Jackson and Jeff Weaver, and Mayor Charles Hester, were prepared to cut positions today, Councilwomen Debbie Johnson and Jackie Lacy felt they needed time to review an employee list before making any cuts.

No comments: