Friday, February 24, 2006

Typical government employee mentality

Teresa and I got back from the county courthouse a few moments ago. I took her there to get her concealed carry weapons permit. I called earlier today about the cost and form of payments accepted. The cost is the same as it was when I got mine almost five years ago.

When we got to the sheriff's office, we checked in with the receptionist. We were told to have a seat and someone would be with us shortly. There was a gathering of several women in the reception area. They were discussing the fact that the fingerprint office was not open at the moment. We could hear them from the lobby. A few minutes later, a small, middle aged man came out and asked if someone was there for a pistol permit. The man had a scowl on his face, was terse, but not rude. I told him that my wife was here to get her concealed carry permit. He asked if we could come back later in the afternoon, since the fingerprint office was closed down and would not re-open until 3:30. Also, that they typically prefer to do CCW fingerprints in the mornings. I told him that would have been a handy bit of information to have earlier in the day when I called to inquire about the CCW. Very condescendingly, he said "Well, you didn't talk to me, and if you had, I would have told you that."

He was obviously annoyed at the very concept of a citizen actually being at the sheriff's office for a public service that we are about to pay a decent sum of money to obtain (even though the idea of a permit is in reality null and void by the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution).

We were told that the best time for getting this done is in the morning. When I tried to ask "when in the morning", seeing that obviously 2:30 seems to be a bad time in the afternoon, he seemed annoyed at the interrogatory. He said between 8 and noon. OK, fine with me.

This man was extremely negative and condescending. He had the attitude that we are an inconvenience to his department, and that we were stupid for coming in the afternoon. He acted as if everyone in the world knows that the fingerprint office is closed during that time of the day, and we were stupid, ignorant fools for even asking. That is stereotypical government employee mentality. I don't know the man's name, but he deserves a smackdown.

I thanked him for his time and for the wasted trip to the sheriff's office all for nothing, and that we would come back another time. As he closed the door on us and he went back into the office area, I said simply (loud enough for anyone nearby to hear it) "Well, his attitude certainly sucks." And it did. Steve Bizzell, if you are reading this, please take note. One of your employees has a horrible attitude and scorns the public. I know you and know that you are better than this man is representing your office to be. It does, however, reflect negatively upon you. How many others (read voters) have gotten treatment, too?

No comments: