Saturday, February 18, 2006

Today was another one of those days where I have the weekend off, but worked today, anyway. Hey, it's three extra hours of overtime.

We drove through Raleigh today. We stopped in at North Hills, the area in which we used to live when we wre first married. Actually, where I got my first apartment when I moved to North Carolina. The entire area is so different from what it used to be. The shopping plaza has been totally redone, the post office torn down and a condo and office building in its place. The Blockbuster that replaced the old Cardinal Twin Theater is now a restaurant. We stopped at the Starbucks for a caramel macchiato. The old mall was completely torn down, except for J.C. Penney's and rebuilt. It looks nice, but I have never been to check it out.

The thing that really caught my attention was that the old apartment complex, Tara East, has been completely torn down. My first apartment was in 3970C and then in 3948A, where I lived when we got married. Now, there is nothing but empty land. There is a fence around the entrance to Tara Drive. The same developer who did North Hills is going to develop that entire complex.

It doesn't surprise me in that the apartments really didn't go along with the upscale environment they were creating in North Hills. It did surprise me to actually see the entire landscape where I lived for nine years just gone.

Teresa cried a bit over the apartments being gone, since pretty much everything from our early relationship is now gone or dead. The apartment and all the pets we used to have are all gone now. But we still have each other.

No comments: