Friday, August 05, 2005

Closing day for filing for election

Today is the last day to be able to file for election to office for the municipal election in November. To date, only two candidates have filed for Town Council. Jackie Lacy and Harry Blackley have filed for re-election to the council and for mayor, respectively. There are only two council positions open, and it looks like Jackie Lacy and myself will be in those two slots.

I was wanting to attend the next council meeting, which is this coming Tuesday night. However, the Johnston County Republican Party Executive Committe meeting is the same night. I was advised by the Chairman of the local Republican Party to attend, so I will most likely do so. There are still a few council meetings before the election, so I can get a much better feel of how things are handled here in town.

I got my first phone call from a concerned citizen today. She was upset about her noisy neighbors and wanted to know if the town has a noice ordinance. She got my answering machine at first, since I was not immediately available. I called her back in short order and had a pleasant call. She was unsure of her polling place for the upcoming election, so I referred her to the Johnston County Board of Elections. If you are not sure of your polling place, voting status, or have not registered to vote, please contact the Board of Elections. The link I just gave should get you contact information. October 14th is the deadline for registering to vote and the election is on November 8th.

Even if my election is a sure thing, I still want to talk to citizens and municipal groups. I would love to sit and talk with the local police and fire officials, public works employees, library workers, and concerned citizens. People can call me at 965-9695 or on my cell phone, 623-7649.

No comments: