Wednesday, August 31, 2005

You can help the hurricane relief efforts

The American Red Cross, in my experience, is one of the most dedicated and reliable charitable organizations in America. They have always been willing to help when disaster strikes, whether it has been a family home fire or a huge hurricane. My experience in the fire service has shown this to be true and I have known a good many hard working volunteers over the years.

I remember a story my father told about coming home from the Korean War. He said that there was one charity set up selling donuts to the service men who were returning. The Red Cross was set up giving away donuts to the service men. That speaks volumes to me.

I am sure that there will be many local churches and charitable efforts organized to help victims of Hurricane Katrina. If you wish to help, please do so. One local church in Selma has helped with hurricane victims in the past by gathering clothes, bottled water, food, and other items for transport into the affected area.

If you wish to donate monetarily to an organization that will help, then I can recommend the American Red Cross with all confidence that you will not be "scammed". Click on the banner below to donate online, directly to the Red Cross.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: