Tuesday, August 30, 2005

My opinion on Hester's comments

In both "The Smithfield Herald" and in the N&O, Charles Hester was quoted as saying that he was reconsidering his quest to become Selma's Mayor (see posts below). I am a bit disappointed in this, considering all that has transpired on his behalf. If he didn't bow out of the race as Jimmy Earp did early on, he had obviously decided to see this through and had intentions of getting elected.

After all of this free publicity, I am a bit baffled. Mr. Hester has gotten a good amount of press in the local media at no cost to him, but it has cost the Town of Selma money and negative publicity.

In my opinion, to pull out of the race now would be a squandering of the equity that the town just fought for and won. Is that how I would want a mayor to think? I don't know.

If anyone should be frustrated with the upcoming election, read my commentary below on the use of nonpartisan elections. Even though I filed early, I am put at a disadvantage just because my last name occurs last alphabetically. None the less, I still have a lot of plans with which to proceed. After achieving a victory in the court at the expense of the Town of Selma, Charles Hester is considering quitting????? Mr. Hester, if you are reading this web log, please reconsider reconsidering. Stand up and follow through.

No comments: