Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Now that Memorial Day is over...

I am fed up (well maybe that is a bit strong verbiage. How about dismayed by?) with well meaning people saying "Happy Memorial Day" like it was Christmas or Valentine's Day. I have gotten emails, seen billboards, and media with the "Happy Memorial Day" phrase.

This day was meant to be a somber occasion where we remember and pay homage to those who have died in battle in the course of service to the nation. It is a time to express gratitude for and honor their sacrifice. It began informally shortly after the Civil War. There is history of the holiday in that link, should you choose to check it out.

A side note is that I really also get annoyed that people seem to think that it is also a time set aside to honor all military veterans. It is not that honoring them is a bad idea. It is just that the day is specifically set aside for honoring those who have died in the line of duty. We have another entire day set aside to honor all veterans, which is entirely appropriate. I take nothing away from them or their own sacrifices made. I am just as grateful for their service as for those who did lose their lives.

I just have a hard time with a day of somber reflection and honor becoming just a day off, being relegated to a "happy anything" day, and lose its meaning. If you are one who has expressed this greeting, I don't condemn or look down upon you. I am just saying that I will not participate in the belittling of the meaning of the day, just as I don't play with Easter eggs (though some of the candy put out during that time of year is still good. Cadbury knows how to make good confections!) and I refuse to put out any decorations of some big guy with a beard and red suit.

No comments: