Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Voting and amazement


I did go and vote on the bond referendum today. The ONLY questions on the ballot were for the school bond, the community college bond, and the recreation bond. There was at least one no vote cast for each today. Turn out was light. By 1:30 in the afternoon, I was only voter number 27.

Here is an article on WMPM's news page:
Low Turnout Reported In Bond Referendum Vote - Low voter turnout is being reported across Johnston County for three bond referendums, that if approved would support public schools, the community college, and area recreation. The largest, a $99 million bond, would support the Johnston County School System. School leaders had requested a $144 million bond, but commissioners approved a leaner bond package. The $99 million, if approved by voters, is in addition to $15 million the school system will receive this summer from the sale of bonds approved during a 2005 referendum. A portion of the funds from Tuesday’s bond issue are earmarked to pay for new Princeton and East Clayton Elementary Schools , which could be opened by August 2008. A $10 million bond to pay for new classrooms at Johnston Community College will be decided by voters today. Finally, a $3.7 million recreation bond is on the ballot. If approved, it will help municipalities around the county, plus a half dozen athletic associations, to fund recreational needs. County leaders said the $112.7 million bond package is all that can be funded without a tax increase. Polls will remain open until 7:30pm.

While leaving the polling place parking lot, I saw something I have never seen before. The Goodyear Blimp was hovering over eastern Selma. I had never seen one in person before. It moved around for a little while in the area. I wished that I had a camera on my person real bad. I whipped out my cell phone, which has a so-so digital camera and snapped two pics. This was the better of the two. The zoom on that camera is horrible.

No comments: