Tuesday, February 20, 2007

When does it end?

1. A ban on indoor smoking in public
2. A proposal for a 10 cents deposit on every bottle
3. A proposal to let local governments raise the sales tax in their jurisdictions

I despise cigarette smoking. Despise is not a strong enough word, actually. I am also a lover of freedom. Smokers' rights end where my nostrils begin, though. I don't don't believe that the government should dictate what someone does with their own establishment. If they want to allow smoking, fine. If not, fine. Personally, I would not have a smoking section if I owned a restaurant. I looked for a link to a news story online but couldn't find one yet. I saw it on WRAL's 10PM news.

A dime deposit on cans and plastic bottles? It sucks in 11 other states, don't let it suck here, too. Enough, already!!!! The only real benefactors will be those who pick up cans on the side of the road. The rest of us have to pay more and be bothered with taking them back to a facility to get our deposits back. Not only that, I find it unethical to force store owners to become tax collectors and tax refunders. That is in effect, involuntary servitude and an unfunded mandate. It will cost money to comply by all businesses and manufacturers. Stupid.

Yeah, just what we need. More taxation. Raleigh wants to be able to collect another 1/2 percent sales tax. When is enough enough? Stop spending like drunken sailors on shoreleave and maybe we can consider taxation.

No comments: