Maryland is attempting to circumvent the US Constitution by passing state legislation that will give its electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote, regardless of how the state's results came out. That is totally opposite of the way that the electoral college process is supposed to work and basically nullifies the Constitution at the state level. Sorry, but it is a federal election, not a state election. Ergo, the election process should be dictated by the federal Constitution, not state law.
I have heard a lot of criticism of the electoral college system since the 2000 election. Our founding fathers wrote the provision for the electoral college system for a reason. It was so that large states (by population) such as New York and California can not dictate to the rest of the country how the federal government works. It is so that each state has equal representation in proportion to overall population. That means that when liberal bastions like New York City or L.A. and San Francisco vote Democrat, while the majority of the nation (geographically) votes Republican, then the dense population cities can not kill off the remaining votes.
Democracy is mob rule. We are a republic, not a democracy. In a democracy, 51% can take away the rights of the other 49%.
2000 was not the first time that the candidate that won the popular vote did not win the electoral college system. I believe that it happened two previous times, as well. It is just that with mass media in place, Americans being less educated about how the government works, and liberals being pathetic whiners and sore losers, we have them trying to rewrite things to their advantage.
The system is in place for a reason. It was wisely put in place for a reason. The system works in the way it was intended. Leave it alone.