Friday, February 17, 2006

Enough is enough

I was reading over some old minutes from town council meetings. Specifically, December's meeting. Mayor Hester wants to rename a street or stretch of road "Martin Luther King Boulevard". Enough already! The man died about forty years ago. He already has a pseudo holiday, statues, streets, etc. named after him across the country. I am tired of hearing about it, I am tired of the appeasement mentality behind this, and find it insulting to force this drivel upon the populace.

I have written about King before. I agree with his message. Those who know me know that I am all about the fairness of treating people according to their merit. I couldn't care less about skin color when it comes to dealing with character. Unfortunately, this message was hijacked and perverted by the likes of the NAACP, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson.

Hester was grandstanding at the last council meeting about how we should remember King's wife, who recently died. Yeah, like that has an relevance to the town of Selma, North Carolina. Selma, Alabama, maybe, but not here. OK, she was a famous figure who recently died. Let us NOT worship her or her husband.

No comments: