Friday, October 13, 2006

Pekingese update

Teresa has been keeping in touch with a lady from the Rocky Mount area who adopted on of Daisy's siblings that they named Dusty. Teresa got an email today saying that Dusty died rather suddenly last night. Apparently there was no warning and Dusty was doing well until the point where she laid down under a living room table and just died. I feel for the family who just lost their pet. I know a lot of what they went through in loving on an abandoned and mistreated pet.

Another bit of news is that the woman (Belinda Haddock of Tarboro) who abandoned the dogs to die (seven did) only got probation. I have looked for news articles to substantiate this, but have not seen any thus far.

Daisy is doing better about being touched. Teresa has been able to pet, groom, walk, and hold her from the day we brought her home. She finally has stopped barking at me as much, but still does from time to time. She still puts herself between Teresa and me, so when I walk into a room where Teresa is sitting, Daisy plays guard dog. She may still bark at me, but nowhere near as much. She now lets me pet her, scratch her ears and head, and she loves to sit at my feet. She still won't let me pick her up or take her for a walk yet, though. She sees me as a doggie treat dispenser since I have been giving her some Snausages and other dog treats for months to court her favor. I am her source of food each morning, as well, and she knows it. If I have a weekend off and try to sleep in, she will bark at me to wake me up if she thinks that I am sleeping too long.

Daisy gets along well with the cats and seems happy and healthy so far. She bounces when she runs and is funny to watch. Hopefully she will be around for a long and happy life.

Here is the Daisy the Dog page.

No comments: