Thursday, September 20, 2007

Well, boo frickety hoo!

Apparently, I really pissed someone off today with my column in The Selma News. I was treated very rudely by a town official today. It was amusing watching a man in his seventies act like a spoiled teenager. He displayed obvious animosity but didn't have the courtesy or the courage to say anything to me about whatever issue he has with me. He has yet to do so about anything, anyway. So much for his claims of faith and Biblical instruction.

When you write a newspaper column, a blog, do a podcast, and are running for public office, you have to expect these things. Public officials should also expect to be exposed when they do wrong by the town, by state law, and by people over which they attempt to exercise power.

The town was wrong in how they handled the forced annexation issue according to common sense, state law, and just plain decency. They tried to hide it behind closed doors and I brought it into the light. Now it seems that someone is offended by that. I am openly stating that I was right to publish what I did, and would not hesitate to do it again. Furthermore, if I am indeed elected to the town council in Selma, I will not hesitate to expose this in the future and will fight against it.

I will not be run over by men who attempt to rule others around them by intimidation. Intimidation does not work with me. I may be too patient or polite at times to make a confrontation because of courtesy to others at times. I believe that there is a time and a place for everything. That patience, however, has its limits.

I also believe in the truth in Galatians 6:7 "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." I am sometimes sufficiently patient to watch that come to pass. Most everyone who has acted like the man who treated me this way today has reaped where he has sown. I will see it again happen again.

No comments: