Monday, January 30, 2006

OK, I am finally going to comment on this one.

I found very ironic the story in "The Selma News" with a picture of Mayor Charles Hester with the caption "Selma Mayor Charles Hester shows off the award the town received for its efforts in bringing Sysco to Selma". I realize that he is the mayor, ie town representative, but he had nothing to do with that transpiring (unless he had a part in it being on the planning board, but the property was outside the town limits at the time). He defeated one man in the election who had a part in Sysco coming to Selma and fired the other. Yet has the hypocrisy to sit for a picture holding the award. Sorry, but that one just rubbed me the wrong way.

I get along with Charles Hester just fine. He has some good ideas on leading Selma. Some things I disagree with him about. There are some things I saw at Town Council meetings that I find encouraging. Some things have just cheesed me off, and if I was elected to the Town Council back in November, he certainly would have heard about it by now. At one meeting, there were things I wanted to speak out about, but I was neither a department head nor a councilmember. I also didn't have a copy of the budget in front of me like everyone else to go through. Actually, I was the only citizen/non-town employee there besides the press. Besides that, I was only able to stay for a short while before I had to leave, anyway. I am just an observer and commentator at the moment.

Here is the beginning of the article (for more Selma news go to "The Selma News" web site (hey, Rick...another free mention, buddy!)

The town of Selma and Johnston County were recognized last Friday at the Annual Meeting and Space Awards Banquet of the Triangle Business Journal, a weekly publication out of Raleigh.

The two were recognized for bringing the number one development for the greater Triangle area – Sysco -- to Selma.

Selma Mayor Charles Hester attended the banquet and accepted the award of the town's behalf and Linwood Parker, chairman of the Johnston County Economic Development Committee, accepted on behalf of the county.

No comments: