Monday, June 18, 2007

Interesting note about Ruth Graham's funeral arrangements

I know that I have not commented on the death of Ruth Graham. Actually, I have, just not on this blog. Here is what I wrote in a conversation with a minister friend of mine.
This is one of those bittersweet things about living in Christ. I rejoice that she is with the Lord. I weep for her family's loss.

Billy Graham was one of the few who has remained pretty much untarnished by scandal. He has received much criticism over the years from others in the faith, but I believe that he was faithful to his calling. I have often wondered about the validity of his methodology, perhaps, but he seemed to be true to his calling to preach the simplicity of the Gospel.

Ruth was long suffering and loyal to her husband and to her role as a help meet for him. She stood as a stellar example for others to see. I wish we had more men and particularly, women as them.

I love to be able to speak well of the brethren.

Now, the interesting note was found in a newsletter that my wife subscribes to. There was one paragraph from a Citizen Times article in that newsletter that both she and I found interesting.
Ruth Graham’s body rested before the pulpit in a closed wooden casket made of plywood by prisoners at Louisiana State Penitentiary. Franklin Graham had come across the caskets during a trip to Angola. He asked that the prisoners design and build matching coffins for his parents.
I have made it known that if I die before my wife does, I do NOT want any fancy coffin. I want a pine box. Cardboard, if she can get away with it. I want the cheapest coffin money can buy and get away with according to law or ordinance. My body will be an empty shell. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. I won't be here, so I really don't care about what sort of box in which my body lies. The flesh would be dead, so there is no need for any sort of comfort. I won't care...I won't be there.

No comments: