Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Thoughts crossing my synapses prior to bed time

April is almost over. As much as I love the beginning of April, I really dislike its end. My dogwood blossoms are gone. The azaleas are wilted and almost gone. The lightly chilly mornings are replaced with hot weather. We can't leave the windows open at this point, since it is too hot outside for personal comfort.

It looks like I will be visiting my mom for Mothers' Day. She will be visiting a friend in South Carolina and wants me to come down to spend a weekend.

The book I am currently reading is "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. It has been a long time since I have just picked up a book and read more than the first chapter. I am notorious for reading several books at a time. I usually start one, read a while, put it down, read another, put it down, and cycle through them. This is the first book that is a non Christian title that I have picked up in several years. Quite honestly, I used to be a book reading fool about fifteen years ago. I was in the habit of reading regularly for many years. In the past three years or so, I got out of the habit. I started several books, many of which end up on the headboard. I have been more apt to read gun catalogs instead of books lately. There are a few titles that I have been wanting to read lately, so I finally decided to just do it. "Atlas Shrugged" is over 1000 pages and has loooooong chapters. I am most of the way through chapter 2 so far. Look up Ayn Rand sometime. "Atlas Shrugged" is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club. If I find it so, I will write about it more.

I am finally getting my company vehicle fixed...again. The brakes have been squeeling horribly since October. The shop has worked on them three times including the full brake job in October. I keep getting told that the squeeling is normal, but I know better. The brake light also comes on often. That was also dismissed as no biggie. Another shop gave the car an alignment about a year ago. They put in a camber adjustment kit that rattled horribly and it was dismissed as nothing notable, but annoying. Also that an inferior part was replacing a factory part, so what can you do? Fix it correctly, I say, but they wouldn't. Now, the front end shakes and the front tires are worn down to baldness from a bad alignment.

The car is overdue for an oil change and the power steering whines quite a bit. I have an appointment with one of our company's vendors Wednesday morning. Hopefully this will remedy the problems, I won't screech to a stop, whine while turning, and shake while turning the wheel to the right a bit to stay in my lane.

So far, I have only heard from two school board candidates to whom I sent an email. One replied via email and another called me three times and we had a long discussion of the issues.

I have been looking into the possibility of obtaining a low power FM radio station license. I have been researching on the FCC web site, calling license holders in North Carolina, have a lead on different equipment with which to broadcast, and may even have some tower sections lined up. If licensed, I would be able to have a broadcast range of about 5.6 km or so. I started to look into this idea several years ago, but did not have the resources to be able to condider such an undertaking. I have acquired some pieces with which to start building a broadcast operation over the past few years. I have the knowledge and materials to be able program content on an automated system on a budget. The down side is that the FCC does everything on their own time frame, not on anyone else's. There is no guarantee of a license approval or a time in which they will accept applications. I do know that there are only 36 LPFM stations in NC, several of which in this immediate area are not even currently licensed and operational. According to the FCC web site, the closest licensee is in Fremont.

Open frequencies here are 98.9, 99.3, and 106.9 FM. I used the FCC web site to draw up a coverage map of what my station would cover, if things progress to the point of licensing.

No comments: