Friday, August 25, 2006

Busy and out of town

I have been working in Elizabeth City, North Carolina for the past several days. My company took over the cable system here and I have been installing an automation system. It is a fairly involved task. It is about 80% done now, so I have at least one more day here before it goes live Sunday night. I am sitting in a hotel room, checking email, watching a news channel, and trying to relax a bit.

I endeavor to put quality into my work, and I have been taking the extra time to do a few things with more quality than others do or I have done in times past. I learned a few things as time went by and found a few things that I like better about the way I am performing the work. There was nothing wrong with the way I did things in the past, really, but I am just found that these few touches make things easier to service, diagnose, and follow behind me if someone else goes to the site.

I also relearned something about quality while here, and think that I will make changes in life in terms of demanding quality. I got a room at an EconoLodge here in Elizabeth City. It was a real dive but was cheap and had internet, which I need for work. The drunken customers stumbling around the parking lot should have been a clue to just leave when I first pulled in.

The neighbors were loud, the internet access was nothing like was advertised, and I did not feel good about the accommodations after the first night there. I tried the Microtel in town, but they only had suites available. I then tried the Holiday Inn Express, which is where I am sitting. Much nicer. More expensive, but more comfortable, nicer place, better breakfast, better internet, better service.

I am the sort who is happy with a Motel 6 when travelling. I will no longer try just any "flea bag" motel, however, just because it is cheaper.

No comments: