Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Scandals...local and state. Anyone surprised? We live in a corrupt world.

I find it amazing that for someone who was so destitute on a job paying over $50K a year that she had to embezzle money, former county Director of the Board of Elections, Teresa Davis has already repayed the money that she took over a period of a few years. I realize that she has a husband and another income besides her own. That is what makes it all the more amazing that they had the financial problems they did.

I know what it is to live off of her salary. I do it myself, with no second income from a spouse. She is only three years older than I am. I know what a hardship it would be to cough up $6300 real fast, though. I would have to raid my retirement fund to do that. It just makes me wonder. Two bankruptcies in two years, embezzlement, and repayment of embezzlement within two weeks of disclosure? Did some money from Jim Black find its way down to Smithfield?



Former Elections Director Repays Missing Money - Two weeks after Johnston County Board of Elections Director Teresa Davis resigned, county officials announced Tuesday that she has repaid $6,290 she allegedly embezzled over a five year period. Davis , 41, resigned on July 14. She had been the elections director since 1998. She accepted responsibility and agreed to repay the money reportedly taken from cash receipts paid by candidates filing for office. An internal audit revealed receipts for cash but no corresponding bank deposits. Davis has had personal troubles, having filed for bankruptcy in 2004 and 2005. At the request of District Attorney Tom Lock, the SBI is investigating the alleged embezzlement to determine if any criminal charges are warranted.

No comments: