Thursday, May 24, 2007

Lack of transparency in Selma Town Council meeting process

The Selma News editor Rick Stewart had a good editorial in today's paper about problems with the Selma Town Council and their lack of openness in meetings. They have numerous closed door sessions, plan things in private, and even decided who to appoint to the open council position in private. It was so obvious it was ridiculous. I have not really touched that topic, not wanting to seem self-serving, especially in my weekly column. I wish his editorial was published online so that I could copy and paste it here. If that ever happens, I will post it.

I dropped him a response, some of which I will put here. I am leaving out a few segments so as to not embarrass others.

You were dead on with your editorial in today's paper about the open meeting issue in Selma. I considered addressing it myself, but it would have seemed self-serving to do so. I am sure Eric Sellers will be a fine council member. However, it is my understanding that he was approached to fill the slot by Chip Hewitt...It was obvious that the appointment was thoroughly planned with no consideration given to any others...Rest assured that this is the sort of garbage I will refuse to tolerate if I am elected. These closed sessions, numerous and inconvenient special meetings at odd hours, and behind the scenes wranglings have got to stop.

No comments: