Thursday, May 03, 2007

Selma politics

It will be interesting to see what will come of the Selma political landscape this year. This is a municipal election year. Half of the town council is up for re-election and the mayoral slot is as well. It is hard to believe it has been going on two years already since the last election.

One town council member has moved out of town and is no longer eligible to serve on the council. One senior member has said numerous times that he will not run again for council. That is both the seats up for election this year.

I have heard several people saying that Mayor Charles Hester will never be re-elected. I have heard rumors that he himself believes the same thing. I don't know about that. Many people are upset about the filing of a lawsuit to shut down two convenience stores, the forced annexation of outlaying areas, and forcing property owners to fix up their houses to meet minimum standards or face property condemnation. I have my own views on the forced annexation and the public nuisance issue. I have written about them before, both here and in the paper.

I have issues with some of the methods employed by Mr. Hester on several issues. However, to give credit where credit is due, he has brought more leadership to the town and has helped get the town back on financial track. There is more to do financially, I believe, and I have a few ideas. There are also other things that the town needs to eventually concentrate upon. The town has sorely neglected some areas of infrastructure and maintenance that need to be dealt with. They don't happen over night.

I have been asked by one person to consider running for mayor myself. There are no other people that are known to be considering that position besides Hester running for re-election. I don't personally feel like I have been here in this town long enough to be the face of the town, as the mayor is the figurehead of Selma. I certainly would not be able to have the freedom to make it to all sorts of municipal, regional, association, grand opening type meetings that the current mayor is able to attend. I do work full time and am not self employed.

There was a rumor that Jackie Lacy will try to run for mayor rather than stay as a council member. I would hope that does not happen. She can barely, and I mean BARELY handle being on the town council. I can not imagine her being in a higher position of leadership.

I look forward to seeing how things pan out this year. Typically, the period for filing for office starts in July and ends in September or so. It will be interesting to see who files for office and for what.

No comments: