Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Travelling and lack of time

Last night was the monthly Selma Town Council Meeting. I didn't get to attend, since I was on the interstate on the way home when the meeting began. Actually, the meeting seemed to still be going when I passed by on the way home. I have no idea whether I missed anything of major importance or not. I guess that I will just have to wait to read it in the paper like everyone else if there was. If anyone reads this and knows what I may have missed, please drop me a line. I looked for a meeting agenda on the town's web site, but didn't find one.

Since I am not even on the council and it is not my job to be at the meetings, I don't feel too bad about not being there. I don't want to end up like Jimmy Fallon's character in his passion towards The Boston Red Sox in "Fever Pitch" (a cute movie). I do, however, want to have an active role and interest in town affairs. I thought about postponing my day trip one more day just so that I could attend the meeting, since I was not sure what time I would be home. At one point, it looked as if I might just make it on time for the start of the meeting. Instead, I missed it by over an hour. Oh, well. That will not be the case if I am ever on the council, however. Work will just have to wait or be scheduled around council affairs.

Mixed in with all of this is my desire to have a life of my own. I am often pulled in many different directions with civic duties, work, friends, and those who desire my assistance. To some things I need to learn to say "no" and to others merely be patient and continue to perform.

No comments: