Friday, July 14, 2006

Selma will never be the same


Look out, fellow Selmites...just when you thought it was safe to open your mailbox on Thursdays, The Selma News is going to strike fear in your heart. OK, not really. But you are in for a treat...or not, depending upon your opinion. I just worked out a deal with the publisher to write a weekly column starting this next issue of The Selma News.

Yes, I am opinionated. I am verbose from time to time. And I write a lot in this blog. I send my opinions to my town council representatives and the town manager. I get fan mail and hate mail on occasion. Such is the way of someone who is willing to stick his head above the crowd.

You may not always agree with me, you may love everything I write. Who knows. This should be an interesting venture. Obviously, writing a newspaper column is different from writing a personal blog.

I would love it if subscriptions increased for "The Selma News" as a result. I am thankful for the opportunity and I hope that I will not disappoint. So, be watching the print edition, since the paper does not publish editorial columns on their web site.

I do plan on offering two things, though. I might as well write them out here. First, I plan on offering my email address for readers to communicate with me that way. troy@troylaplante.com will always be available to readers. I may come up with another URL if things really go well and things develop, but that will do for now. Also, I have a feedback phone line that I put in place specifically for this sort of thing. 919-975-2210 is a local Selma number I had picked up a month or so ago and was thinking about its usefulness for online stuff like this blog. It will also work fine for the newspaper feedback, I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll be able to take some of the smell out of Smellma. Actually, it's a nice town and your point of view will enrich the publication. congrats, bro!