Saturday, March 17, 2007

One way or another, I am going to be a talk show host

I Have a Talk Show

Some of you may know that I worked for years in radio. I enjoyed most of them. I really had a lot of fun when I was able to do audio production and be the guy behind the microphone. I have done most everything in radio, having worked for small radio stations, primarily. Two of my good friends are guys I met at one radio station and we all three ended up working at a second one together, as well.

My favorite format of radio is talk radio. To me, it takes real talent to carry on a talk radio job. I miss the interaction with callers, topical discussion, and the ability to be creative and spontaneous. I would love to work again in radio or own a station, for that matter.

I have pondered about starting my own internet radio station. At one time, I tinkered with audioblogging. The audio blog company I used went out of business. I have thought about podcasting. There are several services online that I have seen others use. I did not jump into it, though. At one time, I thought I would do sermons or teachings via podcasting.

One thing I have really enjoyed is following current events and public affairs in my own community. Hence, this blog. I don't blog everything or every thought. Sometimes, the things that I ponder are just for me and nobody else. Other times, they are either unfit for public consumption or I just really don't feel like sharing. Sometimes, I feel like writing all day. It all depends on the subject and my level of interest at the time. That is what I love about blogging. I have not placed any stringent requirements on myself. I do it as I see fit...or not. Some blogs are revenue based, meaning they make money off them, so they are highly driven by fresh, daily content. Many are politically based only. I rather write about what I want instead of trying to be a news source.

I saw a link that tickled my fancy yesterday. There is an audio service that acts like streaming audio, sort of like an audio blog, but also a podcast service. I figured that I would love to start doing that. People can even call in for live discussion and interviews.

I have done a lot of thinking about this and how I am going to approach it. Sure, I can do the live call in type show, and may yet do that. However, I am just starting out with zero audience. I just signed up for an account this evening. There is no promotion so far. What I will do, however, is perhaps record my first segment and upload it Saturday night around 7PM. That is when I have scheduled my live broadcast.

An unlimited number of people can listen in, and up to five people at a time can call into the show. It is up to me to control the callers that have access. If the show grows in popularity, I may extend the length and make it more live. Maybe I can have one live show a week and one pre-recorded. The possibilities are pretty limitless.

People can listen to old shows on my new site and can get the shows via iTunes as a podcast. That will allow people to have their own copies to listen to at their leisure.

One thing for sure, if I can not do things with a standard of quality, I don't want to do it at all. I have thought about having a community gathering for debate and/or discussion on certain topics of interest. I have thought about setting up at Sweetwater's Restaurant here in town. Maybe we (myself and any regular listeners) could make a regular Saturday night event out of this. It would patronize a local establishment while establishing a sense of community.

I would love to sit down with our town manager, mayor, county commissioners, charitable workers, and concerned citizens for a time of recording or call in. One thing I have thought about is the recent hot topic of involuntary annexation. Since so many people were limited to only 3 minutes of public forum time at the last town council meeting, I would love to sit down with the opponents of the proposed annexation. This would allow them to have up to two hours of time to air their side of the argument, have it available on podcast later, and even on CD if we produce it right.

I have thought about music rights and music that I can and can not use in production. I have already purchased and licensed a bunch of production music that I may be able to use for any announcement segments, ads that people may want to place in the program, and for introduction music. I have a decent portable recording set up and several microphones. I have the editing software and digital conversion equipment. Though broadcast quality, for internet and podcast quality audio, especially telephone fed, it is not imperative to be top notch quality. None the less, I would prefer it that way.

I would also like to have it quality for possible broadcast on local radio stations as a public affairs program. I could make CD copies available at little or no cost for particular causes and guests, but may also decide to charge several dollars for the general public. Of course, podcast copies are free online.

There are many possibilities and I am sure that the program will evolve over time. As I learn the system and get used to it, it may grow in content, quality, and hopefully, listenership. I want it to serve the public good and have fun while doing this whole thing.

I had a piece of equipment to put and audio signal on the telephone. I have been digging through my storage room, desk, and closet for it. Dog gone, I can't find it. Guess I need to buy a new one.

No comments: