Thursday, March 22, 2007

She's pulling the race card again

Ol' Sylvia Cox is at it again. She is wanting to help the Brotherhood and Lighthouse Markets. I have no problem with that at all. I encourage that. I am not convinced that the stores are a public nuisance and I am not fond of the idea of closing down legitimate businesses. I am NOT, however, convinced that the store owners do all that they can to keep the crime problem in check on their own properties.

Why does everything with Sylvia Cox have to be racial in nature? She even admitted that she is pulling out the race card in her letter to the editor in today's "The Selma News". She went on a rant about some perceived hazardous conditions that is ancient history in the town and how the problems were never abated because only Black people were living in the affected area.

I can not speak to those issues, since I was not in this town when those issues went on. I do know that there were several happenings in town a decade ago that were racially motivated. I do not necessarily buy into the idea that the public nuisance issue with the two stores in question are necessarily racial in nature. If the clientelle at both of these establishments are primarily Negro and there are crime problems, it is probably a truism that the crime is being perpetrated by Negroes. The same was true when I lived in a state where over 99% of the people there were Caucasian. If there was a crime, it was probably committed by a Caucasian. There is nothing inherently racist about that. Fact is fact.

Either way, I find it despicable to always pull out the race card about every single issue one disagrees with or does not like. The hyper victim mentality just plain falls short of reality.

On the other hand, if the action by the town truly is motivated by racism, then that is equally if not more despicable and worthy of condemnation. I will be the first to say so if it can be so proven. Unlike some arrogant putz who this morning accused me of being racist, I don't care what race is involved. I do, however, care about justice and the truth. Before citing Bible verses and calling down the wrath of God like a "Son of Thunder", as Sylvia Cox has done, perhaps the truth should be known.

No comments: