Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Problems at a local park

This is not an indictment of the Selma Police Department at all. I like Chief Bowen, personally. I do, however, find a few areas for improvement. One is that Brack Wilson Park here in Selma seems to be poorly patrolled. I have a good friend that lived right at the entrance to that park, would see drug deals go down, call the police department, and nobody would show up from the police department. I ran across a similar problem with a parking violation that was causing a huge safety problem right in front of our house. Two vehicles almost collided with the illegally parked car. Nobody from the police ever came by to check it out. I was working in the yard for hours, so I know that nobody came.

Though police presence is a deterrent, I know that it is impossible for that park to be under constant surveillance and patrol. I do know that with three full time officers on duty in a town that is only 3.5 square miles, that the area should get sufficient attention. Police presence is never the ultimate solution, I know. I don't blame the police department for any issues like this, but I do believe that they could improve response in known trouble spots like this. Even if we need civilians to help patrol with a citizen's watch, I will gladly volunteer some time.

I would love to see Brack Wilson park used to its fullest potential. Unfortunately, it is a hang out for gang members, drug dealers, and prostitutes. Perhaps after hours, the park needs to have a closed and locked gate at the entrance way. It would not take a lot of money or much in the way of effort to make this happen.

Here is a news story about more problems at the park.

Gang Graffitti Found At Selma Park, Businesses, Apartment Complex - Selma Police are looking for vandals who spray painted gang graffiti at Brack Wilson Park. Latin Union and SelTown gang symbols were found on the basketball court. Similar gang-style graffiti, including Mexican Mafia symbols, was found painted on three businesses and an apartment complex. Officers aren’t sure if there is any connection.

No comments: