Tuesday, May 09, 2006

So it is Tuesday

We just ate at a new Greek restaurant tonight, Greeko's on Venture Drive in Smithfield. I tend to like Greek food. Teresa has never really had it before, so today was an experience. I will write a restaurant review on them shortly. Apparently, they were having their grand opening at about the time we were finishing up. A priest, some Chamber of Commerce representatives, and elected officials were there with a big ribbon and the big fake scissors. Our vehicle was parked out front the restaurant and I was asked if it was mine. I guess that since they noticed that we were finishing up our meal, they did not ask us to move the car so they could have space for guests and photographers.

I have a close friend who recently got a big, old station wagon. It is Chevy light blue with wood applique. He took off the wood, has painted white stripes on the hood and sides, put a bunch of antennae on it, and painted slogans on the back. One day, I was talking to him about the car while he was telling me his plans. I was reminded of another old car in a movie, so I did my best Elwood Blues immitation and said, "So, is it the new Blues Mobile, or what?" I created a monster in that one. Now, he painted the Blues Brothers on the tailgate and has word balloons that say, "We're on a mission from God". He also has his ministry web site lettered across the back. I guess that I need to be more careful when joking around. You never know who will take that comment and run with it.

I usually try to go to Selma Town Council meetings. There is one just now starting as I type this. I decided against going since I have not gotten a quiet evening at home for a while, I have a few things I want to do here, and I looked at the council agenda online. The only thing that interests me is the appointments to a town committee. I have offered my name several times for service and have never heard anything from any town official about serving. Ergo, I can only assume that I am not a consideration for this round of appointments. I don't EVER want to hear ANY town official whine about not having citizen participation in town affairs again. If they ever complain that nobody is willing to serve, they are lying.

I need to take a video camera or digital camera with me the next time I go to the Durham site where I go often to perform work duties. There are several families of geese that have had some goslings. They are still tiny, yellow, and fluffy. The waddle right behing momma goose. It is so cute to see as I drive by that pond.

How can the government claim that the only way to pay for improvements on an interstate is another tax? We just had an announcement of a huge (TWO BILLION DOLLAR) revenue surplus! This is just an insult to any thinking person and taxpayer. It is bad enough that motorists that use I-95 will fuel up in Virginia or South Carolina because we have higher gas prices as the result of higher taxes. Now they and we are going to pay more taxes to drive the roads of this state in the form of tolls.

I drive up the Northeast Corridor every so often and have to shell out a lot in tolls in Delaware, New York, New Jersey, and even New Hampshire. We have sales tax, a high gas tax, property tax, state income tax, and now toll roads, too? This is just plain nuts!

This is from www.1270wmpm.com's news page:
I-95 A Toll Road? - Department of Transportation (DOT) representatives said Monday the only way to pay for needed improvements on Interstate 95 is to make the major north-south highway a toll road. Only a 25-mile section of I-95 from Benson to Fayetteville is scheduled for resurfacing and widening, however the project isn’t set for construction for another six years. The information was released during a forum held in Smithfield to discuss the condition of I-95. DOT officials expect the interstate traffic volume to double by 2030, and by 2010 traffic will be so congested between Johnston and Cumberland County that drivers may not be able to travel the posted speed limits during rush hour. Tolls on Interstate 95 would pay for a $4 billion upgrade from the Virginia to the South Carolina state line. However, a number of local elected officials and chamber directors are opposed to the plan. Currently, state law prohibits toll roads, but a recently passed bill would allow tolls in North Carolina if approval is granted by the federal government.

No comments: