Thursday, May 11, 2006

Selma politics

I am doing my cursory scan of today's "The Selma News" and I am reading with a bit of bewilderment. If you read my Tuesday entry, you know what I said about town committees. I see that a new proposed committee for the town is just as I figured it would be. Forty names have been proposed as possible committee members. I have volunteered several times, but my name is not one of the forty. Whatever.

The town council has met this week in closed session regarding the fire department and budget issues. I was the only candidate and would have been the only council member who would at least have fire department experience had I been elected. Since it was a closed session and I was not there, I can only hope that the issues were handled appropriately. I have also submitted my name in the past for consideration on any citizen committee that needs to work on fire service issues.

I heard rumors about the political play that Charles Hester tried to pull to remove a planning board member. It was confirmed in the paper that he had a disagreement with Donnie Parker, a planning board member, that turned into an argument that was a bit heated. Hester decided to retaliate by attempting to remove him from the planning board at the council meeting. That is petty...a small minded political maneuver. Jackie Lacy was quoted as saying in the council meeting discussion, "If I disagree with you are you going to put me off?" This has been the mindset that I have witnessed so far, Jackie. You have too, unfortunately.

From what I have read, Charles Hester said that Donnie Parker is not appropriate for the planning board. Well, from what I have heard from others, Hester would have been opposed to himself being on the planning board. I have heard of some rude, obnoxious behavior by Mr. Hester while he served on the planning board prior to running for mayor. I have heard him speak glowingly as mayor about topics he once opposed and businesses he ticked off as a planning board member.

Politics is a dirty game. That is why I love it and hate it at the same time in that I despise it and want to be a reformer of it. I am not a politician, just a citizen who loves to serve my fellow citizens.

No comments: