Friday, October 28, 2005

I wrote about some of this earlier

I knew that this was coming in the recent mutual aid agreement between Smithfield and Selma. I am not a big fan of speeding violations, since I have my own personal opinions on speed limits, especially on interstate highways. I do realize that often times, traffic violations bring drug busts. Here is the latest on the topic from the WMPM web site.

Smithfield & Selma Police Cracking Down On Speeders On I-95 - In an effort to reduce aggressive driving and speeding, Smithfield and Selma Police have increased visibility and radar enforcement on Interstate 95. Smithfield Police Chief Steve Gillikin said his officers, along with those from the Selma Police Department, began working together three weeks ago to cut down on violators on I-95 through Smithfield and Selma. Officers have spent at least one each week cracking down on motorists. Selma Police Chief Charles Bowen said under a mutual aid agreement between the two agencies, officers have jurisdiction in both towns. Chief Bowen said while traffic enforcement is a major part of the campaign, he hopes officers may be able to capture a drug dealer off the interstate. Chief Gillikin said the campaign will continue indefinitely.

No comments: