Sunday, October 16, 2005

Think about your vote

One thing that has always disturbed me about local elections is that one rarely gets to know about the candidates that are running for local office. Some newspapers try to give a sparse "voter's guide". "The Smithfield Herald" seems to have done the best job of having both a questionnaire and a Q&A forum at their offices. I have also gotten and filled out questionnaire forms for "The Selma News" and "The News & Observer". The N&O info is online. Radio ads give you just a quick glimpse, but nothing in depth. Newspaper paid ads generally are not informative.

That is why I have developed this site. I do believe that I am the only local candidate in Selma that allows you to see exactly what I think and where I stand on issues. My flyers have info on the back of them. My business cards have as much as I have space to print. There is no guile in my writing here. I may not disclose my every last thought on a given subject, but I certainly don't hide or mislead about things. I want the voters of Selma to feel confident in the person that they would be voting for.

Some will vote for a candidate because they are the first name on the ballot, some because it is the only name they recognize, because of a sign on the side of the road, or because the color of a candidate's skin or sex. FORGET ALL THAT. Vote for a candidate because of what he/she stands for, his/her ideals and vision for the town, and leadership.

There are negative things I could write here about my opponents in this election, but I don't want you to vote for me because of a negative or because you are voting against someone else. I want you to vote for me because of what I stand for, which has been outlined fairly well here since July. Read my posts here for the past months and find out what I am all about. I think that you will find a candidate worth voting for. Selma is my hometown, and I aim to serve my community.

No comments: