Sunday, October 30, 2005

My reason for running for office

I have written in this blog a few times about my desire to serve my community. I want to emphasize the servanthood part, since that is my sole aim. I couldn't care less about the power of being in any office, except to safeguard against abuse by those who do want such power for their own purposes. I certainly don't care about the money, since the $1800 per year (about $150 per month) certainly is nothing to live on. Why then, run for office other than to serve? I have been in the service of the Lord for almost fifteen years now. I have been in ministry, in service "behind the scenes" for several ministries, and do continue to do so, though on a lesser scale. As we are told in Ecclesiastes 3, there is a season for everything.

I am a stong believer in being the servant of God and have the burden to do so. I have served in public service from my youth. I have been out of the public service sector for a while and have been more in the ministry service sector until recently. I wish to continue to serve. I wish to be the following:

Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Romans 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
Romans 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
Romans 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Romans 13:5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
Romans 13:6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.

The executing wrath is only a part and perspective of the idea of civil authority. Actually, on the Town Council, I would be responsible for setting up and supporting those very people. That is an important part of serving the public and serving God, in my opinion.

No comments: