Friday, October 07, 2005

Today's meeting at The Smithfield Herald

At 9:30 this morning, I met with the staff of "The Smithfield Herald" for a candidate roundtable discussion/interview session. Jordan Cooke, a staff reporter, coordinated getting the candidates out for the meeting. There were four staff members from The Herald present. I was there a bit early. A representative for Jackie Lacy arrived just before meeting time. Jackie herself arrived shortly thereafter. Debbie Johnson arrived just as the Q&A session ended for myself and Jackie. I couldn't stick around for Debbie's session, too. She was given the opportunity to answer the same set of questions that Jackie and I did.

The questions started out with why we wanted to serve the town. Then it was on to the three biggest issues facing Selma and the biggest future issue. We talked about town projects and financing for them. Another question dealt with encouraging future business, like the town did Sysco. Look for our answers in The Herald. I am not sure about in which issue the info will be published.

Apparently, The Herald is having these meetings for candidates in the larger towns in Johnston County, group by group.

Overall, I believe that I did well. I had already given thought to most of the issues inquired about aforehand.

Just by way of a news item and not criticism, Jackie Lacy has actually hired a public relations consultant for this small town election. Interesting.

No comments: